How do I change my Jomsocial frontend plugin name?
We are asked many times this question, and guess what!, it's really easy and fast if you follow these simple steps. Read more below and check the tutorial screenshots.
changing jomsocial frontend plugin names, in a breeze...
Let's start with the basics. Was the plugin installed before in your website?
- Yes, in your joomla website backend go to the Extensions Manager > Manage > Search for the plugin > Select it > Uninstall. Afterwards proceed to Step 2 of this tutorial.
- No, proceed to step 2 of this tutorial.
Actually changing the plugin name:
- Make a copy of the original plugin installation file and rename it, i.e. pluginname.zip to pluginyourname.zip. Can be a zip, rar, gz, tar.gz.
- Open the renamed compressed file with winzip, winrar, 7zip, etc.
- Extract to your desktop the file that ends with .xml.
- Now it's time to open the .xml file in your desktop and actually change the plugin name.
- To open the file you can use windows notepad or even better notepad++.
- If necessary, download notepad++, it's free. Click the notepad++ image. Download and install notepad++.
- With the file open in notepad or notepad++, at the top of the document, you will find the tags <name></name>.
- The name of the plugin that is shown in your website frontend in written in between those tags, view image below.
- Just delete the name, not the tags. Write whatever name you want to be shown in your jomsocial website frontend. Check the picture below, in this example we replace the name Techgasp Blank for Jomsocial with ...
- Save the file.
- Drag and drop, copy and paste or add file to compressed zip. Use any of these function to get your saved desktop .xml file into the renamed zip. It will ask you if you want to replace the original .xml, say YES.
- Install the renamed plugin in your joomla website backend.
- Done. The new name should now be visible in your website frontend.